Wednesday, February 8, 2012

(Vancouver) Rain

It's raining today.

Not an uncommon occurrence in Vancouver, especially during the "winter" months, but today's rain reminded me of something spectacular.

Yes, it rained A LOT in December and a decent amount in January. But really I've not gotten "too bummed" or "annoyed' by the rain.

Why?

I can say without hesitation or doubt that I love rain. I love how it feels when you are walking in it and happy and I love how it feels when you are walking in it and are crying.

No matter what it cleanses and refreshes the earth. It takes the heaviness of life and shows us how we are all connected through water and this cleansing.

I'm not sure what most people have against rain. I searched high and low for a yellow raincoat and matching yellow wellies so I could go out and enjoy the rain without getting TOO wet. But the joy of getting caught in a rainstorm is still a love I can't let go of.

This past August I got caught in a summer storm right before leaving Hamilton and I danced in it. I was out with my best friends and we all danced it in and then I got home, threw on my bathing suit and danced in the rain at 3am. It was one of the best moments of the summer.

I think it's one of those things we lose our love for as we grow up and we only want it when it's convenient or will serve a purpose for us, example, during hot hot humid summers we dream of the heat breaking with a storm.

That's not to say when it rains for 7 days straight I don't go "okay, I love you but enough I want to wear cute shoes again" but living in East Sussex, England and now Vancouver, I have truly learned I am not one of those people bothered by the rain. I don't typically take an umbrella with me. I don't curse when my hair frizzes. I just accept it and enjoy it.

Maybe we need to watch as children jump into puddles with such joy a bit more. Watch them squeal with delight as they get splashed and giggle instead of moan when things get a bit wet and perhaps muddy. 

 

A rose must remain with the sun and the rain or its lovely promise won't come true.
                                                                                                                      -Ray Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment