Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cat Love Pt. 1

Just over 5 year ago I was entering my 2nd year of University and looking after my sister's cat-Neva. I had volunteeried to take him as my sister looked for work and wasn't sure where she would end up.

I knew that I would be able to give him a good home and she would be able to not "let a cat hold her back." I did not however envision myself falling in love with the little bugger. Neva is a Himalayan/Siamese mix and my sister found him on the side of the road in Thunder Bay with his brother abandoned. Anyone who knows a little about cats should know that Siamese cats are not usually the friendliest.

Such was the case with Neva.  He was very territorial and nippy, biting or attacking out of nowhere. I learned quickly though that what he was searching for in those attacks was affection, acknowledgement that he was there and really just cuddles and love.

He also loved going outside (on a lead) and so I'd study on my porch while he rolled around on the small patch of grass out front, explored the neighbours flowers, and greeted the visitors on the sidewalk. We then started going for walks and as much as he would sniff, I would inform him if we didn't walk we'd just go home and so there I was going for hour long walks at 11pm with my cat on snowy Kingston nights. And even after that first hour I'd have to drag his adorably fluffy tush home.

He became my best friend and he was not the same cat I had taken on, nor was I the same girl who took him on.

But after all is said and done, he had to go back home once my sister got settled and I was left with a hole that I needed to fill...with some more fluffy love.




 Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want.
                                                                                                                      - Joseph Wood Krutch

No comments:

Post a Comment