Saturday, August 18, 2012

Gluten Free?

For just under two weeks I've been trying to follow a gluten free diet.

After the August long weekend full of giant pains in my intestines, doing a small amount of research, I thought it added up that I might have a gluten intolerance. And I am not a big "go to the doctor for every small mishap" person, plus, going gluten free isn't really going to harm my  health-oh less carbs and more veg? Yeah terrible for my health.

Anyway, the first week was not as planned. I was dreadfully tired and could not figure out why. Again a small amount of research and a few discussions with more researched friends I discovered that I was in the withdrawal stage. I believe I'm passed that stage now. Except in a moment of weakness (and a bit of emotional eating) last night I ate bruschetta at work and today am paying for it. The good news is that the food that hurts me is starting to just look unappealing now. Whoohoo!


I should note that I'm not following a "strict" diet-I'm reading labels and avoiding gluten whenever possible but I had cake last weekend and ate around the cake for the icing...and did that again with an ice cream cake-ate the ice cream but left the best part(the fudge and cookie crumbs SIGH), I've also eaten things that have the warning "made in a factory that processes, nuts, wheat, etc" but like I said, I think it's an intolerance not anything super severe.

OH and I am in love with rice crackers-the 98 cent variety from No Frills is super fantastic!!! It's been a slow process but overall I'm excited for this. It's not as hard as I thought-my favourite coffee shop near my work makes gluten free waffles and treats that are tasty. Pinterest has been a huge help finding recipes. Overall, slow and steady will make my tummy happy! (and maybe help in those unnecessary pounds I've previously talked about!)

After I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I said yes to food, with great enthusiasm. . . . I vowed to taste everything I could eat, rather than focusing on what I could not.”
                                                                                                    ― Shauna James Ahern

No comments:

Post a Comment