Saturday, December 17, 2011

Phobic Insomnia

It is 3am and I really should be asleep.

Not only was I almost asleep at work around 9:30pm but I was doing the head bob on the bus ride home after 1am...and now I'm wide awake.

So then, why am I awake and writing a blog post?

Because I walked into my apartment to my lovely Shrimp playing with a mouse. Immediately my body seized up and I started to cry.

The joy of a rodent phobia.
[Note: I tried to look up actual mouse photos but the images were too much so I reverted to the safe mice of my time]

I love Shrimp but his cat nature to play with his food before he kills it...not so much.

I shrieked and ran into my bedroom where I am now trapped because not only did he not kill it but he let it get away and I don't know what to do. The thought of this critter running around my apartment is driving me nuts, making me want to vomit, and taking everything in me to not just leave and sit outside.

Yes, it's that bad folks.

SO let's look at Wikipedia's definition of a phobia:  A phobia (from the Greek: φόβος, Phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational. In the event the phobia cannot be avoided entirely the sufferer will endure the situation or object with marked distress and significant interference in social or occupational activities 

I'm not 100% sure when or how I developed this phobia but gosh durn it needs to go away. Or Shrimp needs to do his job. :(

So the fear of rodents/mice has 3 different names apparently. AND the first person to treat someone with this became phobic of them herself!! Crazy!!  

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear." --- H.P. Lovecraft

And just because Coleridge makes me happy, "In politics, what begins in fear usually ends in folly."- Coleridge

1 comment:

  1. ewww rodents are the wooorrsstt. they carry diseases! at least it wasn't a rat

    ReplyDelete