Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Happy" Christmas

Life has been beyond busy the last few months but it always catches up to you at Christmas time. The time of happiness and gratitude.

Except that, I usually notice more people miserable at Christmas. Personally, I stopped liking the holiday once the magic of Santa Clause was removed. That seems silly, especially now that I think of how terrifying the story of a stranger entering your house to give you things actually is.

However, this Christmas has ended my trying to enjoy the season. From now on I won't celebrate it. I'm sure at some point I'll eat my words but I cannot justify keeping something so negative in my life any longer.

With the new year approaching, I am continuing my journey to happiness and that means surrounding myself with positives and things that I enjoy.

This Christmas I have witnessed behaviour fair beyond what the meaning of Christmas is supposed to be. It's not about the gifts. It has never been about the gifts for me. I would rather give than receive.

I spent Christmas night in my room in order to "keep the peace" in my family. I got called Anti-Catholic at work because I dislike the holiday by a Catholic who did not attend Church on Christmas AND the Sunday after. And the audacity of such a statement when I'd rather have nothing for the "Celebration of Jesus' Birth" and because I've seen this religious holiday destroyed and demoralized to the point of no recognition disgusts me.

I don't begrudge anyone who gets joy and love from the season. I have just witnessed too much pain and suffering from this one day, this season that I cannot fathom going further with it.

Cheers to the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment